Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9995) RfP: is_sane_name and user names

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9995) RfP: is_sane_name and user names
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:52:12 -0700

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Jason Short wrote:
> > is_sane_name isn't called on user names. This is clearly a bug.
>
> Yes.

Yes.

> > It is called on city and player names.
>
> But this is also a bug. Non-ascii city and player names are supposed to
> be allowed, and where do you draw the line?

Am I mistaken, or did you just commit a patch that outlawed a large
portion of the city names in our nation rulesets?

This is related to cheating. Making rubbish city names help confuse the
enemy and make cooperation among allies difficult. Naming all your cities
the same or seemingly the same will hide your capital. If you name all
your cities in chinese characters, then it will be hard for your european
player enemy to find both your capital and coordinate attacks, or even
remember the city where you last lost a unit.

Even so, I think UTF-8 city names should be allowed. And as long as we
have those stupid leaders names, they should also be fully supported as
UTF-8. Usernames should always be in ASCII.

  - Per