Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9773) meta-ticket for next release

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9773) meta-ticket for next release
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 23:48:08 -0700

Jason Short wrote:
> The feeling seems to be that we are approaching a new release.  This is
> a meta-ticket for that release.  Any other tickets that are required to
> be fixed for that release should be depended on by this ticket.

So, my question is: what should be done for the next release?

Gen-impr (aka effects, PR#2551) has been the main TODO for the next
release.  If you want to help out in accelerating this: try playing some
games under the most recent patch in that ticket, and report back (good
or bad) what your results were.  if you want to help more: look at the
default/civ1/civ2/history rulesets.  If you want to help more: start
looking through the code of the patch and reporting what is good/bad in it.

As for the rest, I don't think there are any defined release goals.
However there are some things I would like to finish:

- Revolution popups.  The goal is to remove the end-of-revolution popup.
  Instead the player chooses the target government when starting the
revolution.  This avoids having a popup ("popups are evil") and should
directly solve all the multiple-popup bugs reported over the years (see
PR#2327).

- Civ3 GFX.  A year or two ago Raimar charged me with seeing if it was
feasible to support civ3 graphics.  We are now very close.

- Gen-terrain: This is now supported by everything except mapgen; it's
very close to completion.  It is needed for a "true" civ3 graphics system.

- Connect-orders: this will give great benefit to the user, and is close
to completion.

- Conndlg: any improvements to the conndlg targeted at simple-player,
and particularly at scenarios, should get priority.

I know there are some more projects that people would like to finish.
Per?  Greg?  Vasco?  Mike?  Mateusz?  Marko?  Benoit?  James?  Marcelo?
  Anyone else?  Raimar, do you have opinions on this?

Report back here and we will discuss it.

jason