Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9839) cut down capstring

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9839) cut down capstring
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 04:06:38 -0700

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Jason Short wrote:
> > I think we should seriously consider ditching capabilities. It is a
> > seriously cute concept, but it never really had any practical use, and it
> > makes the code much more complicated when used.
>
> Um, well.
>
> Optional capabilities get heavy use in savegames loading. They have
> some use in tileset and ruleset loading.

Get me right, I was not suggesting we use nothing. However, atomistic
capabilities may not be the solution that best fits our needs. A simple
version number may do the job better. At least for the network.
Capabilities make more sense for rulesets and tilesets, although they are
not used much there now.

> I'd like to suggest a new versioning method for manditory capabilities
> in the deveopment version. Just use a single capability
> "+CVS.August.30.2004". Any time network compatibility is broken we
> don't add to this string just update it.

This is a step forward. I agree.

  - Per