Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9324) startunits and sea units

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9324) startunits and sea units
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:42:00 -0700

Jason Short wrote:
> Marko Lindqvist wrote:
>>  1) One cannot any longer put ferryboats (f) into startunits array with
>>'set startunits'. I left later handling of startunits array as it is
>>(ferryboat handling is there already when they are allowed again)
>>  2) There is check in place_starting_unit() that prevents sea unit
>>creation as startunit for any role.
>
> If 'f' is not allowed in the startunits server variable why is a check
> for it needed later?  Or more to the point, why does this check need a
> translatable string (rather than just an assertion or silent discard)?

  'f' is not checked later, but sea moving units are. That's because
Jason Short wrote:
"In the short term I think the only viable solution is to remove the sea
unit roles from the possible starting units. This doesn't prevent other
sea units from being given the other starting-unit roles, though."

  But was it so that error messages about ruleset errors should not be
translatable?

  btw. There is no sanity checking for startunits when loading saved
games/scenarios. Maybe is_valid_startunits() should be called there
too... except that it would break some old saves, those games which
succesfully started with ferryboats in startunits array.

  - Caz