Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9763) Not fair: get_defender() fallbacs to tile arriva

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9763) Not fair: get_defender() fallbacs to tile arrival time when selecting between equal units.
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 12:35:45 -0700

  1. Your ally has strategically very important fortress and he has
already fortified 10 musketeers there.
  2. You are sending 10 musketeers there as well.
  3. Now you both provide equal number of musketeers to this fortress.
So you share risks 50/50, right?
  4. Finally enemy arrives and attacks with his 10 cannons, killing some
of your musketeers and wounding rest of them. None of your allys units
take a scratch.

  Each unit arriving to fortress was inserted into beginning of the
tile->units list and when it was time to select defender, they were
selected, all other considerations equal, in list order.

  This follows from facts that
  1. get_defender() falls back to selecting first unit in tile->units
list when everything else fails
  2. tile->units is in order

  We do need some way to always select defender, so 1 is unlikely to
change. But I think it would be quite easy to change 2 so that unit
arriving to tile is placed to random position in list.

  - Caz