Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9760) RFC: numbering of terrains

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9760) RFC: numbering of terrains
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 11:56:47 -0700

> [jdorje - Dim. Aoû. 22 18:26:59 2004]:
>
> To increase the number of terrains, we obviously need to change the
> T_LAST, T_UNKNOWN, and T_ANY values which currently sit right at the end
> of the terrain enumeration.
>
> I propose that we use negative values for these.  Another alternative is
> to use very large values, but despite precedent (it is used in other
> cases, like techs) there is no advantage to this that I can see.
>
> T_LAST should be renamed as T_NONE. Current users of T_LAST should
> either use T_COUNT (which will eventually be a variable),
> MAX_NUM_TERRAINS (which will eventually be made large, or removed
> entirely) or (in most cases) T_NONE.
>
> jason

Hi,
I not understand where is the problem. simply include new terrains befor
T_UNKNOWN

the lastest has to be T_UNKNOWN, (it is not set in ruleset)
T_ANY is not a real terrains type, it is used as spetial value, it go
after T_UNKNOWN

T_LAST is simply used to count, as T_UNKNOWN as to be the last real
terrains type we can use it to count, T_LAST (or T_COUNT) are not needed,

if we need a spetial value T_NONE, it can be placed somewhere  after the
last real terrain (T_UNKNOW)

the model is simple

(real terrains types list), T_UNKNOWN, (spetial values list)

no mater to set negative values or biger value

maybe a
#define number_of_real_tieles  (T_UNKNOWN + 1)
#defien number_of_tiles_to_be_defined_in_ruleset (T_UNKNOWN)

Marcelo