Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9746) charsets and saved games

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9746) charsets and saved games
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:17:56 -0700

Another problem is with saved games.  Old-style savegames save the name
strings in latin1.  Except for 1.14.1 savegames which have the name
strings in the locale encoding.  When loading these savegames this
charset may be wrong.  If we assume the savegame charset (for savegames
without the charset capability) is latin1 we can convert this on load.
Otherwise if we have UTF-8 as the internal charset these savegames will
always be wrong.  However if the savegame isn't using latin1 then we're
in trouble.

jason