Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9704) Simplify government.ruleset

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9704) Simplify government.ruleset
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:25:52 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> This patch removes corruption_modifier, corruption_extra_distance,
> waste_modifier and waste_extra_distance.
>
> The _modifier variables were merged into the _level variable, using normal

  Great, I have often wondered why it was made way it was but had no
time to make changes.

> rounding rules. So that what was once level=100 & modifier=67
> (100/67=1.49) becomes 1. The downside to this is that the accuracy with
> which you can set corruption and waste in the ruleset drops for low values
> of _level.

  Where was that 1.49 rounded down before? Can't we increase _level
accuracy by multiplyin it by 10 in rulesets in dividing in appropriate
places in code? 1.49 -> 15.

  > Also, I removed _extra_distance, simply because it had very little
effect
> for those values that it was used with, and I therefore found it
> unnecessary.

  Please reconsider. I have rulesets that take advantage of
_extra_distance. While despotism should have high level of corruption,
it should be able to have more than 2-9 (depending where you start)
productive largepoxer (min_city_dist >= 3) cities. Without
_extra_distance you get no corruption from capital, for neighbour cities
it is ~50% and cities even further 100% (=2 x 50%). By lowering
_distance_factor those further cities get something done while
increasing _extra_distance keeps corruption high even in neighbour cities.

> Finally, I ensured that distance from capital never drops below 1. So if
> you set _max_distance_cap to 1, _distance_factor to 0 or _fixed_distance
> to 1, you can use _level to set corruption to exactly the value you want.
> Eg 50%. This may have an impact on the corruption in the capital.

  This is probably reasonable, yes. It has not too huge impact in
capital in any reasonable ruleset I can think about.
  _fixed_distance=1 was supposed to work even for capital already. But
there might (used to) be bug there. I remember sometime long ago
noticing that my capital had full output under communism, forgot to file
bugreport.

  - Caz