Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#1726) Wish List: Wells

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#1726) Wish List: Wells
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 22:33:30 -0700

> [chrisk@xxxxxxxxx - Fri Jul 16 17:00:21 2004]:
> I agree that wells are not quite a good idea. Question is how to improve
> irrigation of large islands, though. One problem is that gen 2 or 3 games
> have really scattered terrain, that is, all kind of terrains are mixed
> together. So, irrigation is often blocked, it's hard to find ways for the
> water. I'd like to see other terrains structure, also with more realism,
> here.

The islands of gen 2/3 are relatively small, and that partly accounts
for the scattered terrain.  That's why I prefer gen 1/5.  As I said
before, here rivers=10 gives good results and we should consider making
it the default.  The only problem is that it make it harder to build a
road network (you'll need bridge building).

> More rivers are good, esp. longer rivers. I will test this.
>
> Maybe lakes are another solution? There even was a patch for it,
wasn't it?

If we are to remove irrigation using sea water, there has to be a way to
distinguish fresh water lakes from the ocean, otherwise lakes would be
pointless.  But before that is implemented, more rivers should work ok.

> You are right. Bury wells.

Done.

> Fact is, on large islands you hardly can play a developement strategy.

I would say under the default rules, anything other than smallpox is
suicidal.

Mike Jing