Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9384) Intro gfx doesn't scale

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9384) Intro gfx doesn't scale
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:08:22 -0700

> [chrisk@xxxxxxxxx - Sun Jul 18 09:57:57 2004]:
>
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 06:39:10PM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

> > > [chrisk@xxxxxxxxx - Wed Jul 14 13:12:31 2004]:
> >
> > > I see just a small globe picture in the upper left corner of the
> main map
> > > subwindow.
>
> IMHO the scaled picture we've had before looked much better. Also,
> there had
> been an even nicer von some time ago on this list. Why is scaling bad?
> Fx
> ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/contrib/graphics/logos/freeciv_logo.jpg
> is looking good, scaled.

There were many more complaints about how bad the scaled graphics looked
than there have been about how bad the unscaled graphics look...

In gui-sdl Rafal had a more complex solution: multiple graphics images,
with different resolutions.  The biggest one that fits would be used as
the intro graphics.

I agree that a new intro graphic would be nice.  There have been several
suggested.  However some code changes are needed because the text is
translated and drawn on automatically in blue, and this doesn't work
well for any image other than the current one.  Nobody's stepped up to
do any of these changes...

jason