Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7336) Patch: limit ICS through civil war/barbs

To: akaquinn@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7336) Patch: limit ICS through civil war/barbs
From: "Per Inge Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 00:54:16 -0700

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Gregory Richards wrote:
> > [jing - Fri Jul 16 06:12:22 2004]:
> > I don't think this is the right way to cure smallpox/ICS, and we have
> > too many server options already. I suggest the patch be rejected.
> I don't think there's really such thing as too many options . . .

But there is. Every option adds some extra workload for future code
changes.

We want all the options to actually work (even several releases later) and
be supported by the AI, and my experience is that options that are not
actively used in some modpack (civ1, civ2 or default for now) are
eventually going buggy (or have always been buggy) without anyone
noticing. That is bad.

> Anyway, I updated this NoICS patch to work with the latest CVS, so
> here's a new patch. Not that anybody thinks this is good :P

I agree with Mike Jing here. The patch is too 1) too random, 2) too
annoying, and 3) too much anti-ICS. ICS should be left as a a possible
strategy along with others, not killed totally.

Let us revisit ICS and smallpox problems once the effects patch is in CVS.

  - Per