Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8401) Proposal: rndCiv

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8401) Proposal: rndCiv
From: "Billy Naylor" <banjo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 19:15:36 -0700

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 17:57, Mike Jing wrote:

> I can't imagine anyone would want to play a freeciv game with
> semi-random rules.  It's hard enough to balance the default ruleset.
> And a random one?  I think I'll pass.

> Mike Jing

The rulesets created are not meant to be balanced, just unique.

The meta-ruleset that drives the engine is where balancing
is done.

The whole point is to explore a new world, to create new games that
demand new strategies instead of the rush to Republic then Gunpowder
then Steam Engine..

I love freeciv but get bored with how similar each game turns out.
The tech trees seem to treat late 20th century America as the goal.

Currently rndCiv can create reasonably balanced (i use the word
"interesting" ) rulesets from combinations of these rulests...

bash$ ./rndCiv.pl -l
1, 2, 20th, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99,
FantasyRaces, RandomEarly, RandomFuture, RandomLate, RandomMiddle,
RandomUnusual, all, ancient, asia, atomic, biotech, classical, crime,
cyber, default, dragon, dwarf, elf, evil, fantasy, future, good, grav,
industrial, info, magic, medieval, modern, nano, orc, pico, pyrates,
random, random2, random3, random4, random5, random6, renaissance,
singularity, space, steam, steampunk, stoneage, tachyon, transhuman,
weirdscience, xfiles