Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1726) Wish List: Wells

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1726) Wish List: Wells
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:00:23 -0700

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 07:45:44PM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

> > [jing - Fri Jul 16 02:36:40 2004]:
> >
> > I'll say just make more rivers.  I usually use rivers=10, and it works
> > well enough. it works even better now that we have the worker unit.
>
> As a side note oceans shouldn't provide water for irrigation.  This is
> realistic and also removes the irrigation disadvantage of large islands
> (rivers are just as likely inland as out).

I agree that wells are not quite a good idea. Question is how to improve
irrigation of large islands, though. One problem is that gen 2 or 3 games
have really scattered terrain, that is, all kind of terrains are mixed
together. So, irrigation is often blocked, it's hard to find ways for the
water. I'd like to see other terrains structure, also with more realism,
here.

More rivers are good, esp. longer rivers. I will test this.

Maybe lakes are another solution? There even was a patch for it, wasn't it?

> >From a realism point of view wells are possible but quite limited.
> Unless you have positive pressure in your aquifer you won't have an
> artesian well and it will be very expensive to pump water.  Wells also
> dry up since aquifer reserves are fairly non-renewable (usually they
> refill very slowly).  See Kansas as an example of all the above.

You are right. Bury wells.

Fact is, on large islands you hardly can play a developement strategy.

Christian