Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#1726) Wish List: Wells

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#1726) Wish List: Wells
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:45:44 -0700

> [jing - Fri Jul 16 02:36:40 2004]:
>
> I'll say just make more rivers.  I usually use rivers=10, and it works
> well enough. it works even better now that we have the worker unit.

As a side note oceans shouldn't provide water for irrigation.  This is
realistic and also removes the irrigation disadvantage of large islands
(rivers are just as likely inland as out).

From a realism point of view wells are possible but quite limited.
Unless you have positive pressure in your aquifer you won't have an
artesian well and it will be very expensive to pump water.  Wells also
dry up since aquifer reserves are fairly non-renewable (usually they
refill very slowly).  See Kansas as an example of all the above.

(Not that realism has much to do with better gameplay.)

jason