Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8650) (PR: #4712)

To: marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8650) (PR: #4712)
From: "Jason Short" <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 06:03:58 -0700

>   Oh my, why I find this ticket only now when I'm almost finished patch
> that will clash with it.
>
>   My goal was to remove need to update version information to multiple
> places when version changes. Version information is in file 'version.in'
> from which it is read into configure.ac, configure.in, common/version.h,
> and data/Freeciv. Simply put, 'version.in' uses macros to tell version
> and these macros are defined depending on programming language used when
> including it. So, for configure.ac and configure.in they look like m4
> macros, for common/version.h like C preprocessor macros. I'm still
> missing part where data/Freeciv is generated using version.in.
>
>   Should I 'rm -Rf
> freeciv_patch_directory_with_obscure_name_for_diff_pipe_sed_purposes' or
> finish my work?

It would be quite good to have version information be updated
automatically and in just one place.  The problem is we can't rely on
autoconf for this because not all platforms use autoconf.

So without knowing more about what you've done so far, I can't say whether
it will be useful.  At a minimum you may want to archive the patch (this
ticket is as good a place as any).

jason