Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8540) civclientrc incompatibility

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8540) civclientrc incompatibility
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:49:36 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> There is some incompatibility between 1.14.1 and 1.14.99 (cvs) in regards
> to the civclientrc file.
>
> If I set tileset to 'trident' in cvs, it comes up as 'isotrident' in
> 1.14.1, and vica versa.

This is because the options have different names: "default_tileset"
versus "current_tileset" or something like that.  The option name is
taken from the name of the variable representing that option, I believe
- which is convenient but means a seemingly internal change of variable
names can actually break the options file.

But the breakage isn't bad, it just means the options are reset/ignored.
  So the default value is used instead (which is, or turns into isotrident).

> If I save civclientrc in 1.14.1, it overwrites some values I set in cvs
> version.

Are there other options that this affects?

> I don't know how much we can do about this, but it is a bit annoying :(

We can ignore it (annoying), rename the variable (ugly), or change the
internals to use an option name different from the variable name
(inconvenient).

jason