Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8372) [RFC] Inline generator

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8372) [RFC] Inline generator
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:27:28 -0800

I'm pretty much in sync with Jason's sentiments so haven't
added anything much to this. Generators add a layer of
complexity. It is not clear they make things all that much
easier or robust, and sertainly the complexity reduces
flexibility and understanding.

Personally I think at the moment, generators are a new twist
on the old 4GL fad in search of a problem to solve :-). But there
is some underlying rationale for them and they are almost ready
for primetime.

The Groovy-Java hookup is the interesting idea of the moment
and C++/Java vs Python/Perl are the sort two hard/prototype
language ends one wants to hookup so lots of mundane code is
trivially protoyped, written or co-genera<ted in one, and
performance is handed off to the other partner. There is less
generator writing of code and more optimal use of the coding
language of choice for appropriate tasks, in my mind though.

If someone comes up with something it should be looked at,
but I wouldn't make it a priority direction just yet.

Cheers,
RossW
=====