Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8215) win32 client: draw_fog_part doesn't use a ma

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8215) win32 client: draw_fog_part doesn't use a mask
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:05:23 -0800

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, James Canete wrote:

> In the end, it would probably be easier to implement alpha blended
> sprites before trying to do alpha blended fog.  Then I could simply
> create a new sprite at draw-time and blend a darkness sprite into it.
>
> I also found out that AlphaBlend() requires me to "#define WINVER
> 0x0500" (WinME/WinNT) otherwise wingdi.h doesn't prototype the function,
> and I also have to link libmsimg32.a.
>
> I wonder if it's time to debate moving the gui-win32 client to
> DirectDraw, or splitting off a DirectDraw variant. :)

IMHO the best option would indeed be moving the client to DirectDraw. It
works on Windows 95 as well and is more full featured than even the
recent GDIs. It is not very interesting to make a client that will work
on less Windows platforms than the GTK+ client currently works on.

Alternatively, a DirectDraw backend to Raimar's gui-fs client could be
made.

---