[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7228) freeciv-client-gtk: City name problems (Unicode

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7228) freeciv-client-gtk: City name problems (Unicode problem?)
From: "Jordi Mallach" <jordi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 05:06:28 -0800

This transaction appears to have no content
Hi freecivers,

I got the following in the Debian tracker, and I've confirmed the
problem.

Thanks,
Jordi
jordi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx     jordi@xxxxxxxxxx     http://www.sindominio.net/
GnuPG public key information available at http://oskuro.net/~jordi/
Package: freeciv-client-gtk
Version: 1.14.1-2
Severity: normal

It's refusing to allow Århus as a city name, despite its being a name
suggested by the game.  When I try to build the city, I get ``Jeu : on
ne va pas construire une ville avec un nom aussi stupide.'' (Roughly,
``a city with such a stupid name cannot be built''!).  If I try to
change it after construction, I get ``Århus n'est pas un nom valide''
(``Århus is not a valid name'').  It's clearly not choking on the UTF8
data completely, as it repeated the name back in the error message.
Also, oddly, it was fine with ``København''!

A little testing shows that it will accept ``århus,'' but it refuses to
accept names where the first character is a capitalized non-ASCII char.

I simply spelled the name Aarhus, but now it's going to get stuck on
Århus and keep suggesting it to me -- not being Danish I suspect I'm
going to run out of good Danish names in a hurry... ;)

(FWIW, I had problems with being unable to use non-ASCII characters in
king names, too -- ``Æþelred,'' for example, was rejected.)

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
Architecture: i386
Kernel: Linux hrafn 2.6.0-test9-tk5 #1 Wed Dec 3 13:20:27 MST 2003 i686
Locale: LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.UTF-8

Versions of packages freeciv-client-gtk depends on:
ii  freeciv-data                1.14.1-2     Civilization turn based strategy g
ii  libatk1.0-0                 1.4.1-1      The ATK accessibility toolkit
ii  libaudiofile0               0.2.3-4      The Audiofile Library
ii  libc6                       2.3.2.ds1-10 GNU C Library: Shared libraries an
ii  libesd0                     0.2.29-1     Enlightened Sound Daemon - Shared
ii  libglib2.0-0                2.2.3-1      The GLib library of C routines
ii  libgtk2.0-0                 2.2.4-2      The GTK+ graphical user interface
ii  libpango1.0-0               1.2.5-2.1    Layout and rendering of internatio
ii  libsdl-mixer1.2             1.2.5-3      mixer library for Simple DirectMed
ii  libsdl1.2debian             1.2.6-2      Simple DirectMedia Layer

-- no debconf information