[Freeciv-Dev] Administrivia: Warning about sending list mail as non-subs

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Administrivia: Warning about sending list mail as non-subscriber
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:00:29 +0000 (GMT)

If you are already a subscriber to the lists with your only email address,
ignore this message. This is for people reading the mail archives on the
web or send from multiple accounts.

I've warned about this before, but it seems it bears repeating. As lists
moderator all mail sent to the list from people who are not subscribed to
the lists are sent to me for approval. This shouldn't normally be a
problem - I read my mail often and the normal amount of legitimate mails
sent by non-subscribers is low.

However, we are now deluged by an enormous amount of spam destined for the
lists, and finding the legitimate mails amidst all the spam is not easy.
More often than not I delete such mail unread by guessing on the mail From
address. Whenever I find someone who sends legitimate mail from the
outside, I add them to the subscriber list and sets them as vacationed,
meaning you get to send but not receive mail. But this does not help if I
don't see your mail in the first place.

So if you read the web archives and plan to send mail, please subscribe
yourself as vacationed right away. You do this by first subscribing (eg
send "subscribe freeciv-dev" to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxx) then set yourself as
vacationed (eg send "set freeciv-dev vacation" to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxx). If
you plan on going away for a time then returning, please also set yourself
as vacationed rather than unsubscribing. If you have multiple email
addresses, please register all of them in this way right away so you don't
forget one day and wonder where your mail went.

Thank you.

  - Per