[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7144) Experimental data directory

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7144) Experimental data directory
From: "jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 13:46:41 -0800

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 02:47:26PM -0800, imbaczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On 03-12-23 you wrote:
>
> > Have fun.  This is set as patch exists, even though it is not
> > technically a patch.  It should be untarred from inside the data directory.
>
> I think that the changes are good, but there's not enough of them.
> There are features that need testing badly, but need to be compiled
> in, just like the recent city population trade bonus patch (without a
> RT number, which is bad.) (BTW, I think that it would work well with
> my per-city tech cost grow patch.) I know everyone can do that, but I
> also know noone will :/ Those patches need to be gathered in one
> place.

I restricted myself to changes that can be done with only changes to the data
directory, since I figured that would help an experimental directory get in
sooner.  However, once it is in, as long as the change is optional
(as in it can be done by setting a variable in the game.ruleset file, or
similar) then it can be added to experimental with out all the problems
associated with changing the default game.

> IMO, that's the kind of things that the new Freeciv website could
> manage quite well. People would submit patches, other people could
> comment on individual patches. A webforum would be the place to
> discuss patch combinations which work best, worst or just work.

I completely agree.

--
Josh Cogliati