[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7141) wishlist: delayed city capture

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7141) wishlist: delayed city capture
From: "Andy Smith" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 07:24:10 -0800

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 03:57:36AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, James Canete wrote:
> > I never liked the fact that a large, empty city was so easy to take if
> > there wasn't anyone guarding it. Don't those million or so people in
> > the city have any loyalty at all? :)
>
> They create partisans under loyalty-inspiring regimes, which represents
> this to some extent.

Also, I think the Partisans represent it well enough.  If an AI
manages to take a large city of mine, it produces many Partisans.
If the AI didn't bring backup troops it's usually pretty easy to get
that city back using just those Partisans, which is sometimes
necessary if the city is isolated.

Although admittedly the requirements of Guerilla Warfare, Gunpowder
and Communism mean that Partisans never appear in many multiplayer
games I guess.

Perhaps a celebrating city could also get Partisans when it is
taken, regardless of government type?  If the player does not have
the Gunpowder tech then they could get some weaker form of Partisan
so it isn't too unbalancing.

--
"My current provisioning rule is to have no more than 2 out of 3 upstreams in
 bankruptcy at any one time. Of course, we allow the 3rd to be near bankruptcy,