[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7141) wishlist: delayed city capture

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7141) wishlist: delayed city capture
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 06:37:52 -0800

James Canete wrote:

> I'd like cities to be able to resist being captured, even after all
> defenders in that city have been removed.
>
> I never liked the fact that a large, empty city was so easy to take if
> there wasn't anyone guarding it.  Don't those million or so people in
> the city have any loyalty at all? :)

No, apparently they don't.  Look at Iraq.

> The time in between counts as an occupation, where the city loses one
> population point per turn until it is captured.

Great, so you've invented a way both to make the game take longer, and to
gratuitously reduce city size, making Bigpox harder.  Pardon me if I say, bleh!
 But at least you're trying your idea.

> Eventually I'd like units to have capture ratings, perhaps a Diplomat
> can capture in one turn whereas an infantryman would take two.

There is no reason a Diplomat should be able to capture a city, or defend a
city.  A Diplomat captures a city by offering a huge bribe.

It seems that you are having a problem just building the defensive units you're
supposed to.

> Or
> perhaps resistance would be attached to the size and age of a
> city.

Age, no.  Look at Iraq.  Size, yes a defensive bonus for size makes some sense.
 I think Civ III implemented this.  Also it would be a minor incentive towards
Bigpox.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.