[Freeciv-Dev] Carmack vs. Romero

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Carmack vs. Romero
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:51:24 -0800

From: Horn Gábor [mailto:Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx]

> Multiplayer option is not a fun factor?! For me personally it
> is, but as i
> remember for early quake time and the histerie among game developers
> to make every game multiplayer capable, strange all of them
> were wrong...

Among Game Designers, I'm the kind that thinks John Carmack is a
technologist, not a game designer.  There is debate in the industry
about this, so feel free to view me as biased.  In any event, John
Carmack sure as hell ain't no Sid Meier or Brian Reynolds.

> u think they innoved millions of $ to make a "technical" achievement?

In John Carmak's case, absolutely, and that is common knowledge.  The
whole John Carmack / John Romero split was over this very issue.  Recall
the latter's words: "Design is Law."  Romero is a Game Designer, he's
just lost all credibility as far as actually getting anything done in
the real world.  Too much puffing and partying, not enough elbow grease.
Hope he redeems himself someday.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

"Desperation is the motherfucker of Invention." - Robert Prestridge