[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7080) No_Land_Attack - For more units

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7080) No_Land_Attack - For more units
From: "raven@xxxxxxxxx" <raven@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:16:40 -0800

ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi,
>
>after playing another game of freeciv i think we should try to add the
>"No_Land_Attack" flag to some additional units like
>triremes/caravels/fregattes/iron clads/carrier.
>
>The other idea could be to increase the land bonus against attacks
>from sea by 200 or 300. That a normal attack against cities on land
>isn't succesfull.
>
>I don't like iuz's idea that after a fight not at least one unit dies.
>
>I only see one problem in the first idea that after that change most
>ships can't attack incoming dipls after the change.
>
>Thomas

I've been messing around with units.ruleset a bit, here's what I've tried:

Set Frigates to not be able to carry units.

Set Ironclads to have 20 hitpoints (instead of 30 - this way they
usually win, but with serious damage, which limits them.)

Change "Coastal Defense" in the buildings.ruleset to cost somewhat less
and be available with "Steam Engine" (the same tech as Ironclads) rather
than "Metallurgy" which is a few techs later.

I've also been thinking of something like, City walls have some effect
against sea attack, but only if there's a Harbor in the same city, or
something.

I guess these are pretty small changes.  They make more sence in the
context of the ruleset I'm working on, which is much slower than
defaults, and (hopefully) makes it harder for one person to pull ahead
drastically.

I like the idea of ships having Bombardment which can't destroy units
all the way.  The one thing I didn't like about bombardment in Civ3 was
that it usually targeted city improvements rather than defending units.
It was realistic I suppose, but not much fun.

--Zack