[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6979) too long translated string causes client crash

To: ggracian@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6979) too long translated string causes client crash
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 22:09:44 -0800

> [i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - Sat Nov 29 13:16:57 2003]:

> The problem is that the string gets expanded in gtk2 because of
> utf-8. This isn't a problem of the delta patch. The delta patch
> however added an assert in the error case.

There is no theoretical limit to how long translated strings could be.
However elsewhere we impose practical limits in many places via
my_snprintf, and we don't have assertions there.

So I too am not sure what the solution should be, but I don't think we
should have an assertion here when we don't do so anywhere else.

jason