[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7054) Bug in Win32/CVS/11-28-2003, can't load saved ga

To: raven@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7054) Bug in Win32/CVS/11-28-2003, can't load saved games through client.
From: "Guest" <rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:06:07 -0800

> [raven@xxxxxxxxx - Sat Dec 06 05:02:26 2003]:
>
> IRC Log about the problem, since it's concise and I'm to lazy to retype:
>
> <zakarria> hmmm
> <zakarria> Using the newest Windows CVS release, I can't seem to load
> saved games.
> <zakarria> It loads it up, I say start, it lists the difficulty of the AI,
> and then nothing.
> <zakarria> No map displays, there's nothing in the info bar on the left
> hand side, the turn done button is greyed out.
> <zakarria> If I tell it to start the game again, the only thing that
> happens is a message in the "Game Control" window telling me it can't do
> that because the game's already started.
> <jdorje> zakarria: you loaded the game from the startup dialog, or
> manually from within the server?
> <zakarria> startup dialog.
> <jdorje> hmm
> <jdorje> I have never used it, but surely if it didn't work somebody would
> have reported it by now
> <jdorje> but maybe not, there are some other glaring bugs
> <zakarria> So I would have thought... I dunno.
> <zakarria> It's happened twice, actually.
> <jdorje> try running the server separately, loading the savegame from
> within the server with the load command, and connecting directly with the
> client
> <jdorje> wait...does it always happen, or does it sometimes work?
> <zakarria> Both times after it froze for no apparent reason, but when it
> froze it wouldn't let me save the game either, so the games I was trying
> to load were earlier save games, from several turns before it froze.
> <jdorje> hmm
> <zakarria> Always so far, which has been twice.
> <jdorje> can you report this to rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx?  Include all the
> information you can think of.
> <jdorje> could be a problem in the savegame, but not likely
> <zakarria> Okay, I can't think of a whole lot, but I could do that.
> <jdorje> and try running the server separately
> <zakarria> Hey... how bout that.
> <zakarria> Starting with a seperate server, it loads.
> <zakarria> The planet map is only displaying where cities are, and nothing
> else.
> <zakarria> But it loads.
> <zakarria> :-)
>

> Also, I too have the problem of not being able to change workers in the
> main city window.  I looked, and yes indeed, you can change them in the
> "Happiness" tab, but that's not exactly ideal, it's a lot of clicking back
> and fourth.  (Makes the game playable though.)
>
> --Zack

I ran into this problem, too. I think I know the cause. If you look
carefully at the messages, the client appears to try to log you in as
your LEADER name, not your PLAYER name. (E.g., if you're leader name is
"Napoleon" and your leader name is the default "name", the client logs
you in as "Napoleon", when it should log you in as "name".) The server
can't find a player to attach you to, thus the problem. You can load
your save games by loading the game through the server, then connecting
to it, which allows you to specify your player name.

Incidently, the patch to change workers is already in the CVS. As soon
as the delta-fix patch (#6984) is added to the CVS, new Windows builds
(with changable workers) will be available.