[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7054) Bug in Win32/CVS/11-28-2003, can't load saved ga

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7054) Bug in Win32/CVS/11-28-2003, can't load saved games through client.
From: "raven@xxxxxxxxx" <raven@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 21:02:26 -0800

IRC Log about the problem, since it's concise and I'm to lazy to retype:

<zakarria> hmmm
<zakarria> Using the newest Windows CVS release, I can't seem to load
saved games.
<zakarria> It loads it up, I say start, it lists the difficulty of the AI,
and then nothing.
<zakarria> No map displays, there's nothing in the info bar on the left
hand side, the turn done button is greyed out.
<zakarria> If I tell it to start the game again, the only thing that
happens is a message in the "Game Control" window telling me it can't do
that because the game's already started.
<jdorje> zakarria: you loaded the game from the startup dialog, or
manually from within the server?
<zakarria> startup dialog.
<jdorje> hmm
<jdorje> I have never used it, but surely if it didn't work somebody would
have reported it by now
<jdorje> but maybe not, there are some other glaring bugs
<zakarria> So I would have thought... I dunno.
<zakarria> It's happened twice, actually.
<jdorje> try running the server separately, loading the savegame from
within the server with the load command, and connecting directly with the
client
<jdorje> wait...does it always happen, or does it sometimes work?
<zakarria> Both times after it froze for no apparent reason, but when it
froze it wouldn't let me save the game either, so the games I was trying
to load were earlier save games, from several turns before it froze.
<jdorje> hmm
<zakarria> Always so far, which has been twice.
<jdorje> can you report this to rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx?  Include all the
information you can think of.
<jdorje> could be a problem in the savegame, but not likely
<zakarria> Okay, I can't think of a whole lot, but I could do that.
<jdorje> and try running the server separately
<zakarria> Hey... how bout that.
<zakarria> Starting with a seperate server, it loads.
<zakarria> The planet map is only displaying where cities are, and nothing
else.
<zakarria> But it loads.
<zakarria> :-)

Also, I too have the problem of not being able to change workers in the
main city window.  I looked, and yes indeed, you can change them in the
"Happiness" tab, but that's not exactly ideal, it's a lot of clicking back
and fourth.  (Makes the game playable though.)

--Zack