[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6458) wishlist: refugees

To: bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6458) wishlist: refugees
From: "raven@xxxxxxxxx" <raven@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:06:40 -0800

What if refugees were not units controled by anyone, but acted
autonomously, until claimed by a military unit?

They would form a percentage of the time when a city lost population in an
attack (possibly depending on the type of attack).  They would move a few
tiles away from their home city and build a fortification (possibly faster
than settlers do).  That tile wouldn't be useable to any cities near by
while the refugees were there.

Maybe several refugees could use the same fortification, but if there was
more than one, the other's would work the surrounding tiles, making them
unusable to nearby cities as well.

Maybe they would even cause tile improvements to be pillaged on the
squares they settled, and have to move on once the tile couldn't support
them anymore.

To get rid of them you'd send a military unit out to either kill them
(which would cause trouble, but probably only in Rep/Dem, or you could
take them and add them to a city, but if you did that the population they
added would be discontent for several turns.

I'm not sure whether I think they would improve game-play, but if I was
going to have them, that's how I'd do them.

--Zack