[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6979) too long translated string causes client cra

To: ggracian@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6979) too long translated string causes client crash
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 05:16:58 -0800

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 04:00:41PM -0800, Genevieve Gracian wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had a client crash when starting game :
>
> 1: Essaye de prendre le jeu de texture "isotrident".
> 2: LANGUAGE="fr-fr"
> 1: Translated name is too long, truncating: Société de commerce de A. Smith
> civclient: shared.c:606: check_strlen:  l'assertion « 0 » a échoué.
>
> This can be solved with modifing the .po file but maybe it's not the
> good way ?
>
> That only happens with the gtk2 client and not with the gtk one.

The problem is that the string gets expanded in gtk2 because of
utf-8. This isn't a problem of the delta patch. The delta patch
however added an assert in the error case.

Genevieve: you can safely remove the assert.

Vasco, other: I feel that the assert should stay. I'm not sure however
what the solution should be.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Two OS engineers facing a petri net chart: