[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6966) root_req for other rulesets as well

To: morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6966) root_req for other rulesets as well
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 04:01:50 -0800

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Morgan Jones wrote:
> > The new root_req feature of tech.ruleset is great, but I was wondering
> > if it could also be introduced to unit.ruleset (and possibly
> > buildings.ruleset).
> >
> > Essentially a unit can only be builtif the player has the root_req
> > technology for that particular unit.
> >
> > This would be an excellent way of having nation-specific units, via
> > init_techs in the nation rulesets.
> >
> > Currently this is possible, but only if each nation or group of nations
> > has it's own specific tech that allows their unit.
> >
> > This is fine for LOTR type modpacks where each 'side' effectively has
> > it's own tech tree.
>
> I don't understand why this is necessary. You can use root_tech to split
> the tech tree in nation-specific branches, and then units can require
> techs in one of those branches. Simple and efficient.

Morgan doesn't want to have separate trees.  Like in civ3, if you play
Japanese, you get Samurai unit instead of Knight, but this unit is
available at the same point in tech tree (Chivalry).

An approximation is possible in the current ruleset structure, when you
can create a special dead-end offshot tech.  In the above example you'd
have a special tech Samurai Code (Bushido) which requires common Chivalry
and nation specific root tech.

G.