[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6902) gen-terrain for blended terrain types

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6902) gen-terrain for blended terrain types
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 02:59:04 -0800

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 02:29:01AM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> Raimar Falke wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 06:14:54PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:
> >
> >>Now this first question is, does this data - information used to
> >>draw the tiles - even need to go in the ruleset at all?  Is it
> >>possible for the client to figure out which terrain types need
> >>blending all on its own?  Although it may be, I haven't thought of
> >>such a way yet.
> >
> > I don't know why you would want to put this information in the ruleset
> > at all. It should go into the tileset-spec. See it this way: with the
> > blend-type you specify how many sprites of a certain type (forrest for
> > example) you expect and what these sprites are.
>
> I don't know about that.  The tileset knows what sprites are available,

> but ideally it knows nothing about what terrain those sprites represent.

Correct. But if we have to put this information somewhere it goes
clearly into the tileset and not into the ruleset. AFAI understood it
the blend-type will depend on the tileset graphics.

> But there is already a strong tie between ruleset terrain types and
> their tilespec entries.

Do you mean the hard-coded terrain types here?

> In summary, this is a tricky question.

I don't think so.

> >>Of course this solution is short-sighted.  I think a better one is to
> >>add a new terrain value blend_type (an integer).  For forests we have
> >>blend_type==1, for mountains and hills blend_type==1 and for all other
> >>terrain blend_type==0.  If blend_type!=0, the tilespec code will blend
> >>the terrain.  Different terrains with the same blend type will only be
> >>blended if the correct tileset option is set.  This allows a lot more
> >>flexibility for the rulesets, and also cuts down on the amount of code
> >>needed by eliminating special cases.
> >
> > Do the better one. Just to confirm: this will only matter for
> > iso-tilesets?!
>
> Ugh.  Currently non-iso tilesets do manual blending of all terrain
> types.

Another question to confirm: this manual blending was also used in
Civ3?!

> This possibility makes things much trickier.  I suppose this has to
> be tilespec-controlled, although that will probably introduce even
> more dependencies between ruleset and tileset.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  One nuclear bomb can ruin your whole day.