[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6902) gen-terrain for blended terrain types

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6902) gen-terrain for blended terrain types
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 02:29:01 -0800

Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 06:14:54PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>Now this first question is, does this data - information used to
>>draw the tiles - even need to go in the ruleset at all?  Is it
>>possible for the client to figure out which terrain types need
>>blending all on its own?  Although it may be, I haven't thought of
>>such a way yet.
>
> I don't know why you would want to put this information in the ruleset
> at all. It should go into the tileset-spec. See it this way: with the
> blend-type you specify how many sprites of a certain type (forrest for
> example) you expect and what these sprites are.

I don't know about that.  The tileset knows what sprites are available,
but ideally it knows nothing about what terrain those sprites represent.
  But there is already a strong tie between ruleset terrain types and
their tilespec entries.

In summary, this is a tricky question.

>>Of course this solution is short-sighted.  I think a better one is to
>>add a new terrain value blend_type (an integer).  For forests we have
>>blend_type==1, for mountains and hills blend_type==1 and for all other
>>terrain blend_type==0.  If blend_type!=0, the tilespec code will blend
>>the terrain.  Different terrains with the same blend type will only be
>>blended if the correct tileset option is set.  This allows a lot more
>>flexibility for the rulesets, and also cuts down on the amount of code
>>needed by eliminating special cases.
>
> Do the better one. Just to confirm: this will only matter for
> iso-tilesets?!

Ugh.  Currently non-iso tilesets do manual blending of all terrain
types.  This possibility makes things much trickier.  I suppose this has
to be tilespec-controlled, although that will probably introduce even
more dependencies between ruleset and tileset.

jason