Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: configure won't find libpng on MinGW

To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: configure won't find libpng on MinGW
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:25:29 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to compile Freeciv 1.14.0 stable release on Windows 2000
> under MinGW, using the native Windows client.

You can also try the SDL and GTK2 clients. Both compile fine under
mingw32. (SDL client is only in CVS HEAD, though.)

> I went up a learning curve with the useof the -mno-cygwin flag, I
> figure it is only supposed to be used to generate .DLLs, not for
> libraries targetted at the UNIX environment.In other words,
> use -mno-cygwin for the native Windows client, but not for component
> libraries?

I don't know. I have installed (nearly) all the libraries as binaries. You
can find win32 binaries of these libs on the net. If you do this, remember
to grab developer packages too, since these contains the necessary
headers.

> Anyways, I got zlib and libpng built and installed just fine. The
> libpng test and test-config-install work just fine.
> However, Freeciv configure will *not* pick up libpng.configure dies
> with the following lines. What gives?

You need to set the right paths. Try to read
http://rt.freeciv.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=4043 for hints.

> I seem to be using GNU Autoconf 2.56. The installation instructions say
> some vague things about Autoconf 2.13 being preferred.

I think the new generation of autoconf (2.5+) is prefered nowadays.

> I do not have GTK installed. Since I'm trying to build the Windows
> native client, in theory I shouldn't need GTK. Are there any unintended
> dependencies between GTK and other stuff?

No.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any luck or no.

  - Per