Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6376) settler connecting road without bridge building

To: bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6376) settler connecting road without bridge building
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:15:27 -0700

[guest - Thu Oct  2 15:47:05 2003]:

> In the attached savegame, I told a settler to connect Lahore and
> Bombay.  I don't have bridge building yet, but damned if he isn't
> going to run that road over the river anyway (he's got an 'R' on
> him!)

The big question is whether he can succeed in building the road; if
so, that's a bug in the road-building code.  Otherwise, it's just an
obnoxious side effect of poorly functioning connection code.

If you don't have bridge building, rivers should be considered
barriers (as I presume oceans are) to be avoided by the connection
code.  Also, connecting roads should never go through difficult
terrain (e.g. mountains) if the overall distance is the same.
(Putting railroads through mined hills and mountains is an entirely
different matter.)

What I expect would be more efficient to program is adding waypoint
capability (such as goto and patrol have) to connections.  (I think
all this would entail is copying code in control.c from
request_unit_goto() to request_unit_connect() .) Then the user (or AI)
can decide the best route.

--

++JohnWheeler