[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6269) [proposal] Surrender

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6269) [proposal] Surrender
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:42:27 -0700

[per - Wed Sep 24 16:01:48 2003]:

> I propose a new treaty clause: Surrender.
>
> If both nations accept the surrender, the surrendering player dies.

This would definitely make for shorter games, but I'm not sure they
would be more fun (IMHO, of course).  One thing I loved to do in Civ2
was to capture a weak country's capital, make peace, and use the country
as a supply of unit to bribe.  (Part of the reason was that such units
usually would have no home city and thus no upkeep, but that's not the
case in Freeciv.)

Looking at a historical example, Japan and Germany didn't cease to exist
or become part of the United States when they surrendered after World
War II.  Instead, the US occupied both countries (and has military bases
there to this day), without allowing Japanese or German troops to occupy
US territory.

In other words, "Surrender" would not be so much a new treaty clause as
it would be a diplomatic state.  (Perhaps "Occupied" would be a good
name for it.)  If country A is occupied by country B, effectively B
would have all the privileges of alliance with A, but A would only have
the advantages of peace with B.  One exception to this is that I would
have diplomats of both countries still act as if they were both at peace
with each other.

As far as making the game shorter, "Occupied" would count towards an
"Allied" victory.

More importantly than all of this, I would like to see the AI ask for
cease-fires much more frequently when they are being beaten badly, and
being willing to make concessions if necessary.  That's more what
surrenders are like in real life.

--

++JohnWheeler