[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6268) RFC: Clustering in Civil War

To: cameron@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6268) RFC: Clustering in Civil War
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:45:13 -0700

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Cameron Morland wrote:
> Currently when a civil war occurs, each city chooses randomly whether or
> not it will join the rebels. This causes a highly fractured
> civilisation, and usually forces the human to give up. My patch causes
> the nation to split into two clusters of cities (using the K-means
> algorithm, incidentally.).

This sounds like a good idea, IMHO. I think human players (at least
multiplayer) will give up anyway, but that's another issue.

> * Would we prefer to have, eg, two small rebel nations instead of one
> fairly large one? (This is easy.)

If more than one rebel nation is created, then not all of them need start
out at war with the loyalist nation. Once AI surrender is implemented, we
could even imagine some of them rejoining the empire. This might perhaps
sugar the pill sufficiently to deter players from quitting once their
nation breaks up into civil war.

  - Per