[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Team research (PR#4213)

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Team research (PR#4213)
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:06:06 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Genevieve Gracian wrote:
>
>>The bulbs/turn are related to what you obtained last turn, it's less
>>useful imho than having a "real time" update of this value like
>>turns/tech which is updated when you change the trade rates.
>
> Changed. I expanded short_city packet with one field for this. I hope Greg
> or Jason can take a look at it to ensure that we don't leak any unwanted
> info here; I am not very knowledgable about dumb_city.

I don't like it.  It muddles the logic of what the city_packet and
short_city_packet do.  Keeping this logic simple - you either see the
city internals or you don't - will be much safer in the long run I think.

Better, IMO, would be to send a full city_packet for cities owned by
team/allied/shared-vision players (pick one or more of these).  The only
complications here are probably with pcity->occupied and (optionally)
handling city popups at the client end.

Introducing a can_player_see_city_internals() function may help with this.

jason