[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6189) 1.14: stacked with ai at start

To: ggracian@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6189) 1.14: stacked with ai at start
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:56:23 -0700

I seem to have sent a part of this email earlier, please forgive and ignore.

[jdorje - Fri Sep 19 14:14:30 2003]:

> [eneg - Thu Sep 18 15:46:51 2003]:
>
> > One of my units began a game stacked with an ai's one.
>
> The attached patch should fix this for 1.14.  A similar fix is probably
> needed for HEAD.
>
> jason

Jason fix is probably good enough for 1.14.1 (with dx -> x substitution
of course).  But given enough starting units per civ and big enough
radius, it is possible that an entire continent is covered by the first
player, so the next player's do{} loop will run forever.

So we ought to have a more thorough fix for the CVS.  Possibilities are:
1. Fix mapgen so it takes into account dispersion when places starters.
Min distance between starters should be 2*dispersion+1, see
http://www.freeciv.org/lxr/source/server/mapgen.c#L1121

2. Get rid of dispersion altogether (I am all for it).

3. Place first unit of each nation first, then, in a new loop, disperse
the rest.

Best wishes,
G.