[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6170) Alternative city square utilizations

To: jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: remi.bonnet@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6170) Alternative city square utilizations
From: "Mike Kaufman" <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:40:11 -0700

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 08:30:33AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
> Remi Bonnet wrote:
>
> > I really want to grow my cities more than size 30
>
> Aside from the civ map issues, there may be other problems with large
> cities.  There are some hard-coded limits on size.  The number 44 comes
> to mind, but I'm really not sure.

well, the largest city that can be supported (food-wise) is size 63 or
20,160,000 citizens. That is will all plains, wheet, farmland, and railroad
in democracy, which gives 6 food per square.

If you don't care about people starving to death: I discovered when writing
civworld that size 654 doesn't cause the world to end (that's
population 2,141,850,000). Unfortunately the tilesets don't show anything
greater that size 99. Also someone who shall remain nameless added some
asserts with MAX_CITY_SIZE=100. After changing that define the game loaded
up ok, though the citydlg thought that I had positive food production.

Oh, I was able to get 1968 science, or 2875 luxury, or 315 gold out of one
city. perhaps someone can do better ;)

-mike