[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4416) Re: building multiple units in a city

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4416) Re: building multiple units in a city
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:24:26 -0700

[jdorje - Mon Sep  1 18:38:15 2003]:

> The basic idea is correct: if you finish building your warriors and you
> have 1 shield left over, that shield should be usable for either units
> or buildings.  Since it was never actually "spent" on a unit, and you
> never got the chance to tell what it should be spent on, if you change
> to a building in the next turn you should be able to keep it.  This
> works fine so long as it's less than one turn's worth of shields being
> spent in this way.
>
> The problem is that if the production is held up for other reasons
> (settlers in a city of size 1) you can end up with way more production.
>   This is clearly bad.

It's not clear to me that this is bad.  The shields still need to be
accumulated, and while you're doing that, you're not producing other stuff.

> The best solution IMO would be to limit penalty-free carryover to just
> the shields produced on the last turn - all others are subject to
> penalty.  This probably wouldn't be too difficult to code.
>
> [snip]
> So you can build multiple items in a turn only if they're separate
> entries in the worklist?  Seems reasonable.

I think this whole idea of building more than thing per turn will do far
more damage to game balance than allowing people to freely switch
shields after production.  I'd want to see extensive play testing before
such a patch was committted.

--

++JohnWheeler