[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5568) add I_DEMOLISHED Impr_Status

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5568) add I_DEMOLISHED Impr_Status
From: "Arturo Espinosa-Aldama" <arturoea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 15:14:15 -0700

>From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:51:03 -0700
>
>I dislike the idea of free-floating effects. Effects should IMHO be
>grounded in a game basic element like global, city, unit, player or
>government. An island is not a game basic element, it is a data property,
>and therefore to assign an effect to an island seems wrong to me.
>
>A quick suggestion: It is only cities that can have these ghost effects.
>So perhaps we can ground ghost effects in ghost cities? Every city that is
>destroyed is moved over to a pplayer->destroyed_cities genlist of cities,
>which for now can have the sole use of being a storage container for city
>effects. (Bonus: Clients can use this genlist to implement city ruins as a
>visual effect.)

I completly second this idea; I think this would be much realistic. But,
what happens when someone builds on top of a ruin? Can the code handle two
cities on the same location?

Ruins sound great... maybe you enter a new continent and find ruins
scattered all over the place, but noone alive, etc, etc.

Greetings,
Arturo