[Freeciv-Dev] Do you feel your patches are ignored?

To: Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Do you feel your patches are ignored?
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:19:02 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I am sure many of the people sending patches to RT feel that their patches
are being ignored and left to bitrot...  I am now trying to relieve the
situation somewhat through establishing a peer review system.

And this is the second call for volunteers.  Unfortunately the first call
produced only one volunteer.  Very bad!  Roughly speaking, if you are not
willing to give other peoples patches a through and thoughtfull review,
nobody will do anything about _your_ patch.

Here is a quote from my first email with some info on the system:

Some improvement can be achieved through "peer review".  This involves a
member of the community taking a patch and
(a) testing it
(b) looking for bugs and style mistakes
(c) reporting on it on the list (or to a maintainer directly, if
preferred)

One can either grab a patch when he sees it, but, unfortunately, this
doesn't guarantee that the patch will go in after the review, especially
if this patch add a feature or, god forbid, changes rules.

Thus a better system would be when maintainers ask people to review
patches they are ready to commit in principle.  This would involve
maintainers having a list of people with
(1) names / emails
(2) areas of expertise (e.g. path finding for me)
(3) areas of interest  (e.g. gen. topology for me)

So please treat this email as a call to volunteer to join the Reviewers
Club.  Send your emails either to the list or to me directly.

Best wishes,
G.