[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4733) reloading a savegame should give identical resul

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4733) reloading a savegame should give identical results
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 01:48:34 -0700

[jdorje - Fri Aug 15 20:03:09 2003]:

> Jason Short wrote:

> Per suggests that if all game saving were done _between_ turns (as
> opposed to during a turn) this would be much easier.
>
> For command-line saves this is a problem.  The only solution, really, is
> to make a recording of the savegame at the beginning of the turn, so
> that it could be written out to disk on demand later in the turn.
> Unfortunately this is probably slow and error-prone.

I don't see why this would be necessary.  If autosaves are done between
every turn, then this would make command line saves completely
redundant, as they would give identical results.  To the contrary, if
autosaves reliably give the same results when reloaded, then the only
reason I can think of for doing command line saves is to quite
explicitly get different results, either for bug workarounds or cheating.

I had given up on autosaves; my main complaint was that frequently upon
reloading Wonders would be delayed a turn (which, in a race can be
terminal) because caravans arrived in a city before the save, but
weren't used for the Wonder until afterward.

--

++JohnWheeler