[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#5419) Marketplace should have 0 upkeep.

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#5419) Marketplace should have 0 upkeep.
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:21:33 -0700

[jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Wed Aug 27 03:33:53 2003]:
> Marketplaces are an expensive improvement that very rarely get built
> because they are almost useless in actual games.

I find that smallpox only works well for me in despotism.  Once I have a
Republic, it's much faster to have WLTP days to grow population.  (And I
make sure I don't reduce the population below 3 when building settlers.)

I do build marketplaces regularly -- *once* I have Adam Smith's.
(Usually at that point I'm going on a "buying spree" of hostile nations'
cities -- getting over 1000 Au per turn /really/ helps.)

I really like the idea of rounding up; then you only need to have 3 gold
in a city to see a benefit, and you are only penalized if there is 0 gold.

--

++JohnWheeler