[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5465) client can see all enemy units in stacks

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5465) client can see all enemy units in stacks
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:41:59 -0700

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:13:59AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

> As of today the client shows stack information for all units that it
> knows about, via the last PR#2053 patch (discussed on IRC but not much
> on the lists).  This is an improvement on the old situation, but may not
> be ideal.  The client knows about all units in the open but only about
> friendly (owned) units in cities (even allied units are unknown AFAIK).

No, allied units are known in cities.

> One suggestion was that transported units should be hidden from the
> client.  Implementing this properly would be similar to the
> pcity->client.occupied flag that the client uses (it would probably be a
> punit->client.transport_used flag, or some such).  However small drawing
> changes would probably also be desirable: assuming that you want to see
> that the unit is occupied even if you don't know _what_ is occupying it,
> the "multiple units on this tile" sprite will have to be drawn in a few
> more places.
>
> Is this a desirable feature?

AFAICS, this affects land units on transports and air units on carriers,
currently. Maybe land units in airplanes in the future?

There is a problem: There is not always a clear assignment, to which
transporting unit a transportable unit belongs. E.g. you can move a land
unit on a stack of two ships. What if the unit is activated, not sentried?
Still hidden? A carrier can be *above* a carrier or on it (sentried).
Also, I think, units in cities shouldn't be hidden (applies to allies).

Christian

--
Christian Knoke          * * *          http://www.cknoke.de
* Please note new mail address - Neue Mailadresse beachten *