[Freeciv-Dev] unit animation

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] unit animation
From: Lukas Tönne <lukas.toenne@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:23:22 +0200

I have uploaded a (more or less) completed animation file of the warrior unit
to the ftp server (
ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/warrior_animation.tar.bz2 ) for
testing purposes. I think this is useful for developers, who like to work on
unit animation code. The details about the file geometry are described in the
readme. I have not written any .spec file yet, but i can do it if necessary.

Apart from that i more and more like the idea of writing an OpenGL client for
freeciv. I personally prefer C++ instead of C, so maybe this would be a good
point to write an OOP client ? Yes, i know there are lots of good reasons to
use the existing freeciv code, but i think that this is already quite complex
and difficult especially for newbies and will get even more confusing as more
features, options, etc. are implemented. Going over to object oriented code
could solve this problem, and since much of the code used in "2D" clients
might be useless when using 3D graphics this could be the moment to do this.
I already started some (very basic) coding in C++ using ClanLib (
http://clanlib.org ). Please tell me if this the right way or not ...  :)