[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4800) Wishlist: Know technology on contact

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4800) Wishlist: Know technology on contact
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 13:38:38 -0700

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 12:50:10PM -0700, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>
> > When you have diplomatic meetings without embassy, you do not know the
> > technologies of the player you meet with. This leads to three problems:
> >   - If you give him techs, next turn you apparently have the option of
> > giving him the same techs again. Particularily annoying for allies who
> > want to tech share.

Giving one a tech twice is a) annoying and b) sometimes the
"numberoftechswehave"-counter increases by 1 so our research is more
expensive.

> >   - You try to give the other player techs in exchange for something else,
> > but he already has these techs. Confusion ensues as the other party
> > refuses to agree to a deal that on the face of it seems perfectly
> > equitable.

Giving a tech is most times useless, when i need a tech i ask for it and
then take it. Usually when someone wants to give me a tech it slows down
my research because its useless.

> >   - Conversely, he does not know your techs, and may try to give you lots
> > of crap techs you don't need.
> >
> > I see two solutions to this. The first is to give all players who can meet
> > knowledge of the other player's techs. This is drastic but clean. The
> > second is to record (in the server) which techs you have already given the
> > other player, so that you will have knowledge of his possession of these
> > techs in the future. The second solution only solves the first (but most
> > important) of the problems above, however, and there is no good saying
> > where to stop this feature (should we also "know" it has techs required
> > for units of his that we can observe? etc).

Now everyone who has embassy knows about the techs someone has.
So a) is the solution from 1.14.0

The techs for units someone has isn't sane because when i bribe a city
with a cruiser in it i can have a cruiser but not steel.

> The second solution smells of the problems we are having with phantom
> units: where maintained memory could diverge from reality.  I would prefer
> the first solution.  This makes embassy a rather poor investment.  So we
> have to make it better, like display the other players' list of cities,
> research speed, diplomatic states etc

Knowing which techs my neighbour has is very powerful because i know if
he is researching or not
-> tax high and preparing for war
if he has allies
-> two additional techs at one time in the turn
or is at war
-> additional techs during the turn

The diplomatic states from the player i have embassy with would be very
nice.

We know the researchspeed already.
List of cities would be to much. Perhaps name of capital even if we
don't know where it is.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.