[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4725) Rename map_get_known and map_get_known_and_seen

To: andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4725) Rename map_get_known and map_get_known_and_seen to map_is_*
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:48:34 -0700

[glip - Sat Aug  2 15:47:03 2003]:

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Jason Short wrote:
>
> > Andy Smith wrote:
> >
> > > TODO: perhaps now rename map_get_known2() to map_get_known as the
> > > name is free?  It seems silly to have a map_get_known2() where
> > > there is no map_get_known().
> >
> > IMO this function is a misnomer.  "known" has a well-defined meaning,
> > and this isn't it.  It should be map_get_vision_status() or something.
>
> Err?  What's this vision status?  tile_get_known returns enum known_type
> and is very suitably named for it.  At most you can change it to
> tile_get_known_type, but I think it'd be just noise.  More so since it
> acesses tile's "known" field.

Good points.

Yet the current naming system is still broken.  We have map_is_known and
map_get_known2.  "known" means two different things in these function
names.  We need to decide on a consistent meaning and come up with a new
term to describe the other.  Perhaps map_is_known and map_get_known_type?

jason