Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4645) Silent Hunter and Sonar code.

To: bursig@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4645) Silent Hunter and Sonar code.
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:13:17 -0700

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Rafa³ Bursig wrote:
> Secundo: This will make sub and destroyer units usefull again, as I
> know current we have problem with it.

Actually, subs should be quite useful in the cvs version already. They
have been upgraded rather much. In fact, I do _not_ think that further
invisibility rules is going to make the sub much better. Attack and
movement are much more important, the major disadvantage with of is that
they cannot attack land targets.

> Secundo: what happen when you try enter on tile with one ally unit and
> one at_peace unit (you know about this unit) ?

It is not allowed.

> if you don't know about SH unit in ally stack then your unit will stop
> and you get msg that you found SH unit there. IMHO this problem is
> impossible becouse the only way that SH unit can be on the same
> position that your ally units is that SH onwer must be ally with your
> ally and in this case you will know about this SH unit.

No, because shared vision is not implied with alliance.

> > Finally, the AI will have to see these units with its omniscience.
> > Otherwise a lot of AI code must be rewritten.
> > But that removes muchof the point of adding them in the first
> > place, since they cannot beused for single-player. (The same is
> > already the case for F_PARTIAL_INVIS, BTW, but I plan to fix that one
> > day. That won't be hard.)
> hmm... why it can be use with single-player ?
> you can always use it agians AI.

No, my point is: The AI can see all invisible units. So this new ability
will not work against the AI.

> > The concepts are interesting, but I do not think we should be
> > introducing them at this time. We have enough code-breaking patches
> > queued up for the nextrelease as it is.

> I know about it and I plan this change after our primary 1.15 changes :)

Well, for the record, I am against the switching of attack and defense
feature. I would like total invisibility to go in some time in the future,
but not 1.15 and not as any high priority. They should also be called
F_INVIS and F_SEE_INVIS, I think, to be more general.

  - Per

"This is the future for the world we're in at the moment,"
promised Lawrence Di Rita, special assistant to Rumsfeld.
"We'll get better as we do it more often."